Thursday, June 28, 2012

Growth #28 - Cat

Our cat is the new 'it' factor in the Haley household.  Not much else holds the same weight in grabbing these babies' attention.  Ok, except for maybe the camera strap for Grace...that's top of the list.  Other than that, though, Tayla is the hot stuff.

It's been amazing to watch the littles start to recognize their surroundings and show interest in learning more.  I think the first thing I really noticed was Grace's genuine interest in the paper towel roll.  Whenever we'd pass by she wanted to get closer, touch it, taste it.  Caleb had a similar reaction a little while later to the diaper box- always reaching for it and wanting to grab it. 

But Tayla is a much more interesting focal point, especially cuz she moves and actually responds to them. And OH the noise that she makes.  It couldn't be more fascinating. 

Grace started to take notice first and Caleb was a little slow to really show much interest, but just recently he's really started caring a bit about what that fuzzy grey thing is doing.  What I find most intriguing is the intense difference in the way they respond to her.

See, Grace has started a pounding phase.  She wants nothing more than to beat the ever living daylights out of anything and everything that she comes into contact with.  So, granted, that's not the best case scenario when we're dealing with a living creature (nor when we're dealing with Mommy's face...).  So I have to pay close attention to what Grace does when she gets close to the cat.  Inevitably, she starts batting at her head and scares the crap out of Tayla until she scurries away.  Grace gets a huge grin on her face whenever she sees the cat and then bounces up and down on her knees to get closer, humming and sqwaking to ensure I understand the urgency of her request.

Caleb, on the other hand, seems to be a bit of a gentle giant.  At least when it comes to this particular target.  He'll notice her and get a little mischevious smile on his face.  He'll lean a bit toward her which is my sign that he's interested.  Then, sometimes, he'll reach out to pet her and he places his hand softly on her coat and pats or combs her fur.  Sometimes he'll tug on her coat a bit but without much incident and Tayla actually seems to like it.  Usually after about 30 seconds he gets a little disinterested unless I push him to keep exploring this fuzzy family member...mainly because I just adore how he treats her.  It's so sweet.  Eventually I give up and let him go about his discovery of another toy or his desire to eat something...

It's truly incredible just how different these little ones are.  Their personalities are shining through more and more every day right now and sometimes I see new sides to them that I hadn't anticipated.  During Caleb's colicky months, I wondered whether he would be a harsh kid, full of temper and heat.  Especially when he was showing us his strength around three months and batting at toys with such vigor.  But I have really seen this new gentleness come through with him.  Don't get me wrong, he's all boy and still spends a good amount of time trying to destroy things- but I'm glad that he has it in him, at least for now, to slow down and feel the softness of a pretty little creature.

Grace...well, we'll see what surprises are in store.  I'm fairly certain she's taking after Mommy maybe too much and will be a bit of a tough pill to swallow as she begins to explore her independence.  The "I Want and I Want Now" gene has been passed on, folks.  I guess I deserve it.  Oh but what fire she has. She's going to be such an explorer, such a strong spirit, I can already tell.  I'll take a little credit for that part, too.




So, tough night tonight- Ben had to take the babies to Caleb's helmet appointment solo as I stayed at work to handle the closing shift.  He also ended up taking both babies to the pediatrician when he heard Caleb's new cough get a little violent.  What a Dad! Turns out, of course, there's nothing we can do for the little guy right now.  He's not struggling to breathe.  Hopefully this isn't another two month long episode...he JUST got healthy.  Anyway, that means no 8 month photo shoot yet again...

Poor baby girl also has a bad cough.

Look at that face! To die for.

The love affair with the camera strap continues...

Nom nom nom

Grace, you're silly. It's just a strap.

She's getting SO good at drinking from her sippy cup!

Handsome dude with a rocky immune system. :(


Notice no helmet? Yeah, they have to make a new one for him.  So he's helmet free for a whole week! YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment