What a month. I'd say we picked the exact right month to highlight all of the incredible growth that our babies are doing day in and day out. Just one month ago, we were writing about their first attempts at "sharing" and learning about sippy cups. Now we've got one baby crawling (yes, you read that right!) and one baby making leaps and bounds toward catching up to his sister in the motor skills department! What a difference a month can make, and what a fun ride these past eight months have been.
I've got plenty to blog about today- it was a big one in the Haley household. First, the not as fun news was that Caleb has been pretty lethargic and absolutely not feeling well for the past couple of days. Today he woke up and just wanted to go back to sleep...all the time. He wasn't eating all too well (I think this might be our explanation for the chicken refusal yesterday, I was a little skeptical that he just didn't like it- he likes ALL food...), and his cough has gotten a bit worse. So when he woke up from his second TWO HOUR nap today and felt pretty warm, I knew this wasn't good. I sat him up and started searching with one hand to find the thermometer in our baby-bin when I noticed the little man spasm pretty intensely. It was like I pinched him or something so I was worried that he was sitting on something sharp. He fussed for a second after the spasm and then seemed pretty fine. A few seconds later, he did the same thing. And then again and again. Each of these spasms were about 20 seconds apart or so, and he seemed fine in between, but they kept coming. After a little bit the frequency slowed down and he only had a few sporadically as I watched. I took his temperature and he had a fever of 102.1, so I decided to call the doctor to make sure that this wasn't something serious related to his high temp.
The doctor wasn't too happy with what I was explaining to her and told me I should take him into the hospital, seeing as he's getting to the age where high fevers can cause seizures. So I dropped everything and packed little man up for yet another trip to the ER. Ben stayed back with Grace once again- one of the hardest parts of parenting two kids. By the time I was loading him into the car, I hadn't seen him twitch for a little while and at the hospital he stopped all together- I was so relieved. They took his temp and it was still high, so they gave him advil on top of the tylenol I had given him and then did an RSV and flu swab and a chest x-ray because his cough sounded so bad. We were there for a couple hours when they got all of the results back and everything was negative. They told me to make sure his temp stayed under control but there wasn't anything else we could do. They didn't feel like he had any sort of seizure because it was sporadic and he was fine in between the spasms, so at this point we're in watch and see mode. He was an unhappy baby at bedtime and it took him about 45 minutes to stop crying and fall asleep- he wasn't happy in his crib, my arms, on the ottoman...he just seems so uncomfortable. I so, so hope that he gets better quickly this time. He's been sick so much, I don't know if he's had more than a couple weeks of health since we started daycare. The guilt that I feel for that is incredibly overwhelming. There has to be another way.
Before the little man started scaring the daylights out of Mommy, I got to spend some fun time with Gracie in her play area. She's been getting so, so close to crawling for a while now- so every once in a while I'll put my arms out when she's just out of reach to see what she'll do. Recently she's been getting up on all fours and starts moving her arms and legs and sort of squirming backwards as she's trying to move forward toward me. When she figures out that she's going the wrong way, she gets a little mad and then pushes forward only to fall on her tummy- she hadn't figured out how to move her knees underneath her.
That all changed today. I stuck my hands out and watched as she pushed up onto all fours, pushed back so that she was in this crouched pouncing position and then put one hand out, then the other, then lifted one knee and placed it underneath her, and then the other! She was crawling! It wasn't exactly "graceful" but it was movement and it was in a forward direction! The first time I saw it she only took that one "step" forward then fell on her tummy again. But the second time she actually did a couple of little "steps" before falling! I can't believe my baby girl can crawl! By the end of the weekend she'll be well on her way to crawling all over the place! Unreal.
So we had our ups and downs today, a realistic cap to a whirlwind of a month in the life of a twin mom. It was almost 6:00pm by the time Caleb and I got home from the hospital and nearly time for bed. He had dozed off in the car so waking him up to get ready for bed wasn't exactly the best scenario, but it had to be done. Unfortunately, I had promised myself that I'd take the 8 month photos today because I wanted to do it at least in the month of June...and honestly, something ALWAYS comes up so today was no exception, and neither would tomorrow, or the next day, or the next. So I pulled out the trusty monkey stuffed animal and stripped the babies down for the quickest monthly photo shoot yet. I usually try to pick out their outfits strategically for these- something that shows a little bit about them or their month or somewhat match. I couldn't fathom putting them in any sort of outfits after the evening we'd had, so this month's shots are diaper shots! I mean, it is sort of fitting seeing as it was 113 degrees out when I came out of the ER with Caleb and had to load him into the car that was parked out in the sun... The babies are spending a lot of time in just diapers right now because it's ridiculously hot out and well, they're cute in their diapers. Plus, they match in their little birthday suits!:) Anyway, it wasn't the best photo shoot we've ever had and you can understand when I say that the "out-takes" pretty much dominated the shoot. I think I found one, and only one, that had both babies without serious angry faces. No smiles, but at least not horrific crying like most of them...
So here are the out-takes!
Happy belated eight months, babies!
No comments:
Post a Comment