Friday, January 22, 2016

Sick Day

Little Gracie unfortunately had a sick day today. She's been a pretty healthy little bug for the most part, so sick days are blissfully rare for her. I'd like to keep it that way!

She was perfectly fine yesterday and then last night she was playing with her cousins and didn't want to eat dinner- she was too distracted. I made her finish most of her food before she could get up to attend the "ball" that her cousins were putting on. This made little boo bear scarf the rest of her food really, really quickly. Then, after the ball, she said she had a headache but that was it. She went to bed with no issue. 

Just before midnight, Ben heard her coughing pretty hard, went into her room, and found her throwing up on her bed. He changed her sheets, blamed it on a fluke, and put her back to bed. About 30 minutes later, we heard her coughing again and he went in to find her throwing up in the toilet. At this point I checked her temp, no fever. I brought her into bed with us and she threw up two more times in a bucket by the bed over the next hour. 

Ben had to go to work this morning so at that point he went down to try to get a little sleep in the guest room and I hung with grace. She continued to throw up/dry heave every 30 minutes or so until 4am. Poor thing! 

She wasn't keeping any liquids down all night so when she woke up at 7:30 I wasn't surprised that she had a headache but she claimed her tummy didn't hurt at all. I gave her some Motrin for her head and within 15 minutes she was feeling perfectly fine and ready to go to her field trip! 


No, no, sorry baby. We don't go ice skating after vomiting for four straight hours...


I had to force her to stay in bed or at least close to it. Luckily Caleb's Hav providers were still ok coming in today so  I didn't have to wrangle him at the same time. She ate a little food around 9 or 10am and kept everything down. I told her if she took a nap I'd let her go downstairs to hang out instead of staying in mommy's bedroom. She finally fell asleep around 1:00 and I went to the grocery store for Gatorade, leaving Caleb's therapist behind to watch over the quiet house. When I got home, she woke up complaining of her headache again. I gave her watered down Gatorade that apparently made her stomach hurt again, so I decided it was back to bed. She's now been lounging the rest of the day away watching Disney movies and shows (how many times have I seen The Lion Guard???). 


She still has no fever, no more vomiting, no other symptoms but complaining of the headache and occasional tummy ache. She's not interested in eating much either, but she's acting pretty much normal now. 

I have no idea if she's sick or just had some sort of food poisoning thing last night and is now dehydrated? Meh, I'm hoping she'll be back to herself tomorrow so she can play in her soccer game and I can go get a massage with Daddy like we have planned! We'll see. 

Caleb was a champ all day, as were his therapists. They took him outside, to the park, played chase, listened to music, watched movies, and read lots of books with him to occupy him while I didn't have a lot of time to play. He doesn't usually love when I'm not giving him attention so I was happy that he rolled with it today. 

We've noticed a definitive trend of meltdowns occurring between 11:00-12:00 on these meds so we were proactive to distract him a lot during that time today, and I spent most of my time hanging with him during that window. It worked!!! If these meds at least make his meltdowns more predictable, then we've struck gold! 

Hanging with his new therapist this evening for some reading time! The binky helps him stay calm for sure, but we can't over-use it or it will lose its magical powers and we'll be lost when we need it! Nooooo! ;)

Wish us luck in a vomit free night and a soccer and massage filled day tomorrow! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment