Sunday, June 17, 2012

Growth #17 - First Father's Day

Another BIG first today in the Haley household!  Ben's first Father's Day was a lot of fun, I think for everyone involved. Of course, Father's Day weekend started off with a bang yesterday as we spent the afternoon with my parents, celebrating my Dad and being together as a family.  It hasn't escaped me that while, of course, none of this would be possible without my Father, what's truly inspiring is how much better all of this, my whole world, is made because of this incredible man. I've known, for as long as I can remember, just how lucky I am to have him.  But each passing year, I learn even more what amazing gifts he's given me throughout my life.  From the overwhelming beginnings- making those hard decisions to go against doctor's orders and keep me active, to the unending guidance, support, even the coaching he's provided me. He's always been there, to this day, and I'm so blessed to know that and feel that.  It was a wonderful day yesterday, watching my Dad play with my children. 

The weekend continued with a very important day today. I really wanted to make Ben's first Father's Day special, so what's the best way to do that for a man like him?  Create an agenda!


I wanted Ben to sleep in as long as possible so I was surprised when he woke up at 9:15.  I had printed out three different agendas, one for a 9am wake-up, one for a 10am wake-up, and one for an 11am wake-up.  What happened to my ever-sleeping husband?  Babies! That's what happened! ;)

So we had a nice relaxing morning as Grace pulled another two hour nap (what is going on with that child right now? Not that I'm complaining!!). We lounged together on the couch while Caleb took his short nap and then the three of us played for a bit on the bed until I had to take a shower.  Ben got some good Caleb time and then when Grace finally woke up, it was time to open presents!


Best gift was the Superdad Trophy card that plays the Superman theme music! He'll be displaying that on his desk from now on. :)

Betcha can't guess what Ben got for Father's Day... Workout stuff! He asked for a weighted vest so that was delivered a couple of days ago- all 70lbs of it.  Then the babies and I got him an agility ladder for his next crazy quest of "Asyl.um" (as soon as he's finished with Insanity, which he's still rocking).  We also got him a core ball, a wrist and forearm strengthener, and a heart rate monitor!  The babies obviously know what Daddy's all about.

After he opened his gifts, he decided to add an item to the agenda for the day. He wanted to take the babies out for a walk and take his weighted vest for a test run at the same time.  So we took a walk around the larger block in our neighborhood twice, the first time Ben wore the 70lb vest the whole way and then the second time he pushed the stroller without the vest.  I cannot believe he made it all the way around the block in a fast-walk with that thing on.  I literally can't even lift it up, let alone wear it around.  He also put it on a little early and we still had to feed the babies, so he fed Grace and changed her diaper with it on as well!

Then he got ready, I stripped the babies down and wiped them down with cold wash cloths because it's 200 degrees outside today, and then we all got ready to head to Mimi's Ca.fe! Apparently this is our new Mother's/Father's Day tradition. :) We're so weird. The babies were, of course, phenomenal the whole time.  They just chilled in their car seats until about 10 minutes before we left when Caleb decided he wanted out.  After a quick diaper change, we were good to go. 

Next on the agenda was a little Father's Day shopping. I know, that doesn't sound right.  What Dad wants to go shopping?  But I know Ben likes a little thrift shopping from time to time so he can hunt for deals.  Plus, we both had some stuff to buy and this could mark maybe a couple items off of our ever expanding to-do lists. 

The babies were fantastic yet again until we got into the checkout line and Caleb started to get hungry. No big deal, I packed their bottles so we took one out and fed him right there in the checkout line.  With one baby done eating, Ben decided we should just feed Grace and stay out instead of coming home for a Father's Day nap.  I had to run to a store around the corner (literally, I ran) so Ben stayed back at Ross to finish feeding Grace...and of course entertained Caleb outside of his carseat when he got a little ansy.  Then it was off to another store where Ben got some clothes and then another store for some shoes.  Then we both bought some swim suits for our upcoming staycation at another store!

At one of the clothes stores I pulled out a couple of baby food "pouches" and fed the babies right out of those by the dressing rooms.  Caleb ate in his car seat and luckily I decided to pull Grace out to feed her because she grabbed the pouch and squeezed nearly half of it onto her neck and shirt! I was cracking up and scurrying to get some wipies before she started flinging it across the store.  A few quick wipe ups and one shirt removed and we were back in business.  A couple stores later we headed to the family restroom for diaper and outfit changes to find that they didn't have a diaper changing station (worst nitghtmare).  Instead of just going to a new store, we rocked out the carseat diaper changes and mid-air outfit changes.  Yeah, we're resourceful...thank God we're a good team! :)

For the last store Ben and I carried Grace because she was being so cute and loving looking all around.  Caleb was happy to suck on a couple of toys and a binky when he really needed it.  Finally it was back home and a few minutes of playtime before we hit the bath and then the cribs! The babies went down super easily after a long and exciting day! I hope Ben enjoyed it as much as I did.

Of course, after the babies went down, Ben strapped on his new heart rate monitor and then hit the garage gym (it must be 120 degrees in there) for his first day of Max Interval Insanity- the harder level and the last half of the Insanity program.  I don't know how he does it.  Honestly.  He came back in dripping with sweat and so excited about how hard it was and how good he feels.  Thoroughly impressed, B. Thoroughly.

I really wanted to capture Ben's first Father's Day so we can look back and remember how much fun this truly is.  But what's more important is that I capture the truth about my husband...he was made for this job.  He is a complete natural at being a Dad, and it's so obvious when I watch our babies just obsess over him. 

Of course this is a tough job, no one could claim otherwise.  Going from being a bachelor to a husband and then to the Dad of two kids all within 4 years is no joke.  And he has done it with true dignity and grace. I wonder sometimes how he handles the amount of responsibility and work that he has on his plate, but then I see him light up whenever Grace reaches for his nose or Caleb gives him that deep and full chuckle.  He loves this job.  And I'm so, so glad that I have him to show me just how it's done.  He's a wonderful teacher, support, and friend.  He's an amazing husband.  And he's the Daddy I knew that he would be.

Littles,  you're two lucky kids to have this man guide you into the people that you're becoming.  I want you to promise me something. When you're all grown up and building your own lives, maybe nearby or maybe a world away, take a moment everyday to look down at your hands.  Those two strong forces that reached for your first hug, picked up your first toy, held your first spoon, wrote your first word, held your first handle bars, played your first instrument, threw your first ball, pulled your first swimming stroke, steered your first wheel, and adorned your first true symbol of life-long love.  Look closely at the lines that cover those beautiful hands.  Those same lines were there the moment that you were born, and the very first thing they touched on this earth was your Daddy's finger.  You each wrapped your tiny little hands around his finger and he was forever changed.  You have transformed him into this amazing Father with your tiny smiles, your adoring gazes, and your playful laughs.  The moment he felt those fingers around his own, he became yours. As you look at your hands, full of the life that you've built and the memories that we built together, know that your Daddy still feels your tiny hands right inside of his, and he always will.  No matter how far away you are, he will always be wherever you need him.  Take care of that special love.  It's truly a gift and you're so very blessed to have it. 



Ben, on your very first Father's Day, know how grateful I am to have you in my life and how truly lucky our children are. Happy Father's Day!




1 comment: