Friday, July 13, 2012

Journal #12 - The Missing Day!

Yes, I actually missed a day of blogging! I thought about it a lot, but actually ran out of time and couldn't bring myself to blog with how sleepy I was when I finally had a free moment to sit at the computer.

We've been hanging with the entire family on a little staycation now for a full day and it's been fabulous.  I'll take this blog post to write about yesterday, because I just can't let a day go by without journaling!

We spent yesterday packing. Oh the packing and then more packing, and then the unending packing.  Never in my life did I think I would need to bring seven suit cases to a staycation minutes away from our home for just a few days.

I will provide the caveat that I'm known for my overpacking abilities- I can fill a suitcase to the brim and still have less than half of what I truly need and twice what I actually will use.  Phenomenal.

We stayed up the night before beginning to pack, get things in order, write down our two-page list of what to bring. Then I woke up early the next morning to pack up all of my own stuff and get a few more baby items packed.  We headed into the office a little late still hoping that we could leave a little early to get our staycation underway. The work day was tough; I was non-stop per usual and checking the clock every twenty minutes with increasing worry about my growing to-do list and my dwindling time to do it.  By 3:00 I felt pretty comfortable I could get out of there in about 30 minutes and then, of course, something came up and it was 4:15 before I finally walked out of the door.

By the time we got the babies home, it was almost 5:00, our initial goal for leaving to the hotel. We still had to finish packing, wash bottles, and get the babies out the door.  It was after 6 when all of the actually finished.

Bedtime wasn't the best, both babies fell asleep in the few minutes it took to get to the hotel and weren't too happy about waking up to be put right back to bed. We finally got them down and then spent the next thirty minutes on edge as Caleb continuously woke up crying and then struggled to fall back asleep.

After several minutes of quiet, our guards were finally let down and we could relax with a glass of wine for a minute with my parents, my brother, and my sister-in-law.  We were very, VERY fortunate to have my parents offer to stay with the littles and my niece and nephew so my bro and sister-in-law and us could go out to dinner. 

I will stop to say that a "minute" of relaxing with a glass of wine with my family never actually turns out to be just a minute, or two or three.  We all hung out for over an hour chatting and joking, gaining an increasing amount of "tipsy" to start off the weekend right!

We took a shuttle to the restaurant and had an awesome time spending too much money and enjoying some delicious French food. The shuttle ride home was a little more fun after a couple extra drinks at the restaurant.  ::Kids, as you read this in the future, note that your parents do drink and have fun...we're cool, I promise...but we also TAKE THE SHUTTLE while doing so!::

By the time we got home it was way too late to know exactly how late it really was.  Did you keep up with that?  We knew that we were in for a bit of a tough night, being in a new place and strange cribs.  So, the blog had to wait. I woke up at 2am with Caleb and actually felt pretty anxious about it. I seriously considered pulling out the netbook in the middle of the night once Caleb finally fell asleep (over an hour later!!!) to type one up, but just couldn't do it.  I was too exhausted.

I'm proud to say that it was my first missed blog since January! Unfortunately I don't have any pictures to add because the camera won't upload onto this computer, but I'll post the pics from the weekend once we get back home!

Just a few shots from while we were finishing packing to head to the resort...

He can reach and grab the toys on his jumper all the way around now without any trouble!

And he gets easily distracted by it.  He'll be contentedly playing with one toy when all of a sudden he'll catch another toy in his eye and struggle to figure out which to play with! :)

Grace was, luckily, pretty happy to hang out in her jumperoo while we packed. Otherwise, it would have been a full-on tear fest from the little lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment