They were both back at daycare today, one of their last days for a while. We haven't found a nanny yet, but the hunt is definitely on and we discussed with the daycare today that we'd be leaving as soon as we find one. They were so sweet about it, providing us with the flexibility to leave whenever we are ready and not provide a full two weeks notice or anything. I also asked them for any references of nannies who have the same morals and ethical foundation that they've built their philosophies of care upon. Hopefully they'll think of someone and they offered their prayers in the interim.
Caleb is gradually returning to his happy self. He's such a different baby when he's healthy, even though he's still incredibly happy when he's not feeling well. Grace is already seeming much better, her little bug only lasted about a day or two which is always lovely! Is that how other people have it when their kids are sick? Is that what's normal? No hospital stays or emergency room visits?
Today Caleb woke up early after a good night's sleep, another sure sign he's feeling better. He tends to wake up more at night and then sleep in later when he's sick. So Ben was up with him at 4:15 for a bottle this morning (ouch) but Grace didn't wake up until about 7:00! I fed Grace and entertained Caleb after I nearly finished getting ready and as Ben got ready himself. I got Grace dressed and then Ben came out and dressed Caleb while I went back and finished getting ready . Then Ben got the bottles packed up as I put Caleb in his car seat and then Ben put Grace in her car seat as I finished packing up the diaper bag. Then Ben took Caleb out to the car and backed out so I could squeeze Grace into the other side...
Basically, it's quite the dance that we do in the mornings!
We dropped the babies off to a lot of sad faces as we explained the new situation. Even after being gone since the middle of last week, both babies smiled when they saw their teachers. I hope that we find a nanny who will instigate the same happiness from our littles (without replacing Mommy completely...). About thirty seconds after I handed Grace over to her teacher and she was set down on the playmat in the middle of the room, I looked over at her and she was crawling over toward a little table. She crawled there, reached up, and immediately pulled herself up to stand at the table. Then she started shuffling around it!!! Oh, we're in trouble! :)
After a long day at work, we picked them up from daycare and one of the teachers showed us some adorable pictures she took of Caleb playing with a new friend, Preston! He was on his tummy and this friend came up and started interacting with him. Apparently he was super interested and they hung out for a while playing. There was a really cute picture of Caleb looking up at this other baby as Preston was sort of lying on his head looking sideways at Caleb. So cute! She also told us that Grace has found a great friend who she always hangs out with! They're like little partners in crime at the daycare! :) One tough moment was right after I called out for Grace and she turned immediately to smile at Daddy and I, I called out to Caleb the same way to no response. He was standing in a little exersaucer playing very intently with some toys in front of him so I called again. Then again and again, but nothing. I was actually yelling out "CALEB!" at this point but he wouldn't turn toward me. The teacher finally went up and picked him up which caught his attention. He didn't look up at us untils he was actually handing him over, at which point he recognized us and gave a HUGE smile. I chatted with her about it, as it's something I've been concerned about for a while. She noted that she usually has to go right up to him and sort of force him to look in her eye for him to really interact. Once he catches her eye, he'll be super interactive and playful, but until then, he just doesn't respond. I'm going to get his hearing checked again soon, I'm wondering if that has something to do with it, although he responds to loud noises pretty well. I guess we'll see.
We got home and had some good play time from about 4:45-6:00. Then we fed them their solids which they both ate really well (peas even!) and then it was bath time. Caleb started getting pretty fussy during his dinner until Ben took him into the bathroom and turned on the tub. He stopped crying immediately to watch the water run! He loves the tub! Of course, as soon as we had to lie him down so I could get Grace ready for the bath, he started crying again. I'm pretty sure he recognizes that part as being associated with bedtime, although as soon as he gets into the actual tub he's as happy as can be. But once he's out again, we're right back to the crying until he gets his bottle. Ugh.
I forgot to document this earlier, but a couple of days ago Grace figured out how to clap!! It was so cute, we were just playing with her one day when she looked down at her hands, put them together, looked back up at us, pulled them apart, then back down at her hands, put them together again, and then smiled so big! From that moment on, she's been a clapper! She also started waving pretty frequently a few days ago as well. It's the real deal too, she'll raise her entire arm up and sort of flap her hand up and down. So cute!
Caleb's also discovered some new tricks. He can hold himself up in a pushed up position on his arms as long as we help him get there. He can't quite push himself up yet, but he can hold himself there pretty well. He also has figured out how to stand from a seated position without much help pulling him up. When he's on the floor he needs a little extra boost to stand up, but if he's just sitting in our laps with his legs at a 90 degree angle, he can just grab onto our hands and pull up all by himself!
They both went down without a hitch at bedtime tonight, so we'll see how tonight goes! Wish us luck!
On a sidenote- we actually just bought a spin bike and I've spent the last few days reacclimating myself to spinning, which I used to love (as much as I hated how tough it is!!). I'm super out of shape, but today I've committed myself to a 100 day challenge. For the next 100 days, I challenge myself to exercise every single day, no matter what. That can be 5 minutes or 55 minutes, but exercising everyday nonetheless. I'm excited about it and I really think I can do that. Here's to a new challenge!
| Caleb is a pretty darn good sitter now! He only gets wobbly when he gets tired or if he knows that I'll be there to help him sit up. |
| Oh hi Dad! |
| Mommy's finger is pretty delicious. |
| I mean, he is just plain obsessed with rings! |
| How handsome is this little dude? |
| Drooley McGee. He just cut his fifth tooth (!), the third on the bottom, and has THREE more on their way!!! Ugh, poor little guy. |
| Look Ma, no hands! |
| I just love her eyes. |
| Can you say puppy dog? We're in big, big trouble. |
No comments:
Post a Comment