Saturday, July 21, 2012

Journal #21 - Costco Uh Oh

This wasn't a baby uh-oh.  This was a Mommy and Daddy Uh-Oh, capitalized. 

We decided to head to Costco today to pick up some important items that we need for a party we're hosting next weekend as well as just a few general things (we get our baby formula there...as well as some delicious pre-cooked strips of chicken...I digress).  So, after our sleepy morning and Ben's crazy cleaning afternoon (are you noticing a trend here for Ben?), we headed off to Costco around 3:30.  By 5:30, we were trying to quickly head home, barely missing an enormous dust storm that could have easily carried our babies away. The trouble with quickly loading up and heading home,  you might ask?  Well, we had accumulated one giant flat cart and one giant cart chalk full of stuff that apparently was completely necessary for us to purchase.

We have a problem.  A Costco problem.

See, we got there and immediately saw a Roomba, which I've been clamoring for for years now.  Then we saw the pocket steam mop, which would replace our current steam mop that just doesn't do the job.  Then, of course, we saw a life-size teddy bear that was pretty much impossible to resist, especially because we noticed a huge area rug that would be perfect for our main living space and would allow us to remove baby jail and set up a brand new baby play room...so the bear would go perfectly there.  Then, I noticed the jumbo greeting card collection, on sale for way too cheap, and therefore had to be mine.  And if I'm getting the greeting cards, I have to buy a denim skirt, right?  So, by the time we were finished with half of the store, we already had to ask a Costco employee to help us get a new cart and take our flat cart up to the front to wait for the rest of our shopping to be complete. 

All this time, the babies were being pushed around in their car seat stroller and having a blast.  Once we started onto the actual food shopping, I fed both of them (really, just gave Grace her bottle and she fed herself for the most part) and then gave them each a couple of new toys to hold them over. 

All said and done, we spent way, way too much money and now have some big tasks ahead of us to reinvent our living space.  Oh, but the deals were irresistible! You Costco shoppers know what I'm talking about.  And if you know Ben, you know that he doesn't impulse buy, ever.  Even as we're about to impulse buy something, he's checking online to make sure there isn't anywhere else we can purchase it for cheaper.  And if Amazon has it for anywhere near the price that Costco does, we either don't buy it or we buy it online- no tax!

Anyway, we had a pretty great day today.  I put the final touches on our nursery (9 months late, but who's counting?) and Ben cleaned off the porch and cleaned the windows outside!!! (Those who live in Phoenix are cringing right now, you know what I'm talking about...approximately 3 hours after the windex had dried, what happened? A haboob! Dust everywhere. And then rain to ensure it's fully caked on. Sad.)

Last night was rough again.  Caleb was up every two hours.  He woke up at 12, then 2, then 4 and then 4:30 and then 5:15 when I fed him.  Then Grace woke up at 7 and then Caleb was up again at 7:30.  I took both feedings this morning and then let Ben sleep in while I played with the babies.  He got up around 9:30 and took over so I could go nap.  Unfortunately, Caleb wasn't having any part in his morning nap and cried non-stop for about 15 minutes before I had to come out and try to help.  I couldn't leave Ben to deal with a very angry Caleb and a very needy Grace.  I helped put Caleb down while Ben took care of Grace.  I got to go back to sleep around 10:30 and then woke up around 12. 

Ben fed both babies a combo puree of peaches, oatmeal, and banana.  Apparently they loved it.  He did both of their second bottles and then we both started working after I woke up. I love how the nursery looks now, with the babies' names hanging over their cribs. 

Grace is getting more and more ambitious with her pulling up and cruising.  She pulled up on her basketball hoop and it toppled ontop of her, which of course caused some tears.  She just cried for a bit and then was fine.  But her second fall today, in the nursery when I was putting the names up, was quite a bit worse.  She crawled over to me and grabbed onto the back of my legs to pull herself up, but didn't get a good grip and toppled over, hitting her head on the corner of her crib.  She completely freaked out, but I seemed to be able to calm her down pretty easily with some extra cuddles. 

I have to note that she's going through a pretty intense Mommy phase right now, and it seems to be getting worse.  She wants me to hold her all the time and she doesn't love it when I pass her off to Daddy sometimes.  She still plays with him all the time, but sometimes she's really stubborn about needing to be with me.  And after that fall, it was pretty much the apocalypse when I handed her over to Ben so I could finish up the nursery and get ready to go to Costco.  Yikes. She wasn't happy at all.

You'd think that with twins, they'd be pretty independent. I mean, they haven't really gotten much individualized attention at all in their lives.  When they do, it's not for long periods of time.  But still, they can each get pretty needy, especially recently. I'm wondering if a nanny will help that.

After Costco, the babies were both pretty happy and had a lot of fun playing on the new carpet and with their new giant stuffed bear. :) Caleb went down really easily tonight after being super happy during the bedtime routine.  Grace wasn't falling asleep with Ben and seemed to want me to hold her, so I took her after I put Caleb down and attempted to put her to sleep.  She loves to rip the binky out of  her mouth and throw it across the room when she gets tired.  Of course, a few seconds later she's upset about not having it anymore.  That's a fun new game.  After a sly game of "Mommy's sleeping so you should too", she finally started to pass out.  I put her down and haven't heard a peep yet.  We'll see about tonight!

Trying to rip the mirror off of baby jail.  As of tonight, baby jail is NO MORE! Yay!


She so easily crawls over anything now... it was just a few days ago that she could hardly figure out how to crawl around something!





Pre-basketball hoop incident.
Why are you taking a picture of me, Amy? I'm trying to work.

NEW TOY! :)



Hi Dad!


Bye Dad!

Notice what she's going for? Shoes. Every time.


Caleb has found a new best friend.

Oooh, soft!


Loves it.





Cuddle time with big bear.  He laid like this for a little while, it was so cute!

1 comment: