Monday, July 30, 2012

Journal #30 - Nanny Visit

We had our first baby visit with a nanny this evening. The nanny we interviewed last night came over to meet the littles and get just a taste of their awesomeness.  And, of course, their overwhelmingness.

See, this nanny has some nannying experience.  She was a nanny to a family with two boys a bit older than ours- around two and three.  Then she was a nanny for a little girl who was around 6 months old and stayed until she was over a year. But she's never been a nanny for twins, and twin infants no less. I wanted to make sure she knew what she was getting herself into just as much as we wanted to see how she interacted with the twins.

It went pretty well- especially in the beginning.  Caleb responded to her right away and seemed to really like her.  Grace had just woken up from a nap and definitely took some time to get acclimated to the newness of this girl, but she warmed up pretty quickly.  But about thirty minutes in, she wanted to be in my arms and my arms alone, so when I walked away and the nanny picked her up to hold her, it was pretty much the end of Grace's relationship with her.  At least for the night.

Grace has some serious Mommy obsession right now. It's really cute sometimes, but usually I just feel really bad that she's neglecting Ben or giving everyone else the cold shoulder.  Plus, I want her to be social and friendly, at least to a point.  And then there's the added problem of Caleb needing my attention, too.

But, all in all, the nanny was very friendly and spent the majority of the time trying to teach the babies something.  "Clap your hands!", "Clap them high, clap them low...", "This is my face. Where's your face?"  It was good! She immediately got down on the floor and hung out down with them the whole time.  She asked a few questions about Caleb's development and seemed to be fairly unphased by Grace's dilemma. She tried to calm her down and she tried to take control of the situation, but because I was there, she didn't really have much chance.  I know that, though- I wasn't expecting miracles. Plus, little Gracie hadn't seen me all day- it was a bit much to ask her to hang out with a stranger while I was sitting right there after a day apart.

The rest of the day was a complete whirlwind.  The babies slept awesome again last night.  Caleb woke up at 4:50 but took a binky and fell right back to sleep.  He actually went to bed with a binky last night for the first time because he had a meltdown on the bottle.  The binky calmed him right down and he passed out. Grace didn't wake up last night at all I believe!

This morning, we spent some time playing after feeding them both together but then had to get ready so Caleb hung out on our big bed while Grace played in the pack n play in the bathroom while we each got ready.  They were both pretty happy when we got to daycare, although Grace held onto me a little tighter than usual when I tried to hand her over to the new daycare lady who was watching the room for a few minutes when we got there.  No tears, though!

When we picked them up, their teacher told us that Grace was super fussy all day and had two diarrhea blow-outs today. Poor little lady.  She actually thinks that Grace is teething because she was drooling today, which would be new.  The diarrhea is from the antibiotic that she's on, but maybe some teething would explain a bit. Plus, she's about to be considered the toothless wonder if she doesn't start sprouting teeth soon. ;)

Caleb was pretty happy all day and was really happy this evening.  They both ate a bunch of cheerios at daycare and at home and they each tried to eat a little shredded chicken and some peas, too.  Caleb seemed to be ok with it all, Grace focused on her cheerios for the most part.

Caleb went down without much trouble but Grace is pretty much fighting sleep right now for some reason.  I tried to take her from Ben and see if I could help, but she just wanted to play with me.  She was acting SO tired before, so I'm not sure where the second wind came from. 

We have another interview in a little bit, although I haven't heard from this nanny since we set up the appointment. Hopefully she's still coming.  If this isn't a great interview, we're going to move forward with a "trial day" with the nanny from earlier today on Wednesday.  Ben will stay home and sort of observe while he works from home and she'll do a normal nannying day with the babies.  It will be a test run for both her and us to make sure it's the right fit.  If it works out for both of us, then we'll go ahead with her which would be exciting! But I'm really cautious to not dive into anything just because we want them out of daycare.  If it doesn't work out, we'll find someone else and the babies might have to get sick one more time from going back to daycare. It will be worth it to find the right nanny to join our little family for the next year or two!

I hardly took any pictures today because we were so busy, but these are a couple I got of Grace as Ben tries to get her to go to sleep...unsuccessfully. I'm sure the camera didn't help... :)


No comments:

Post a Comment