Monday, August 6, 2012

Story #6 - Sleepy Eater

Grace has decided that morning naps are for wusses and she's far too cool to take a nap before noon. 

So instead, she's chosen to pass out doing whatever activity that she taken on right around the middle of the day.  Say...eating lunch...

How does one even sleep like that?? Believe me, that high chair is NOT all that cushy.

It's been a few days since Gracie has taken a morning nap, and it's driving me bonkers.  She seems completely alert and ready to play as soon as that morning nap time rolls around.  This all started about a week and a half ago at daycare.  They kept noting that she wasn't sleeping during morning nap time.  She would just hang out or get mad or demand attention, but not sleep.  She never did that at home, so I thought it was just a distraction thing.  Until this weekend.  She started her nap strike at home on Saturday and hasn't stopped.  She will take a nap in the early afternoon, but no morning or late afternoon naps in her crib.

Of course, if we get in the car it's all over. She's passed out in less than a minute.

But we put her in her crib and she'll just play or talk for a while and then freak out about being left alone in the nursery until we come to get her.  It's madness.  She's too young to be dropping her morning nap!

You may be wondering how I got this adorable shot above of Gracie passed out in her high chair right after lunch.  Well, it was the littles' first day with nanny Jessica! I told her that I write a blog every night and that I take pics of them each day to post as sort of my baby book.  I told her that I'd love it if she took some pics during the day to capture their time away from us, and she got some cute ones! She seems great!

I was pretty nervous last night.  We got the cameras set up a few days ago, so that part was done, but I didn't finish baby proofing and I absolutely didn't feel ready to leave the littles in our home with a stranger.  But I wasn't as paranoid as I thought I would be.  We did our homework with Jessica and she really does seem good with the babies. 

I went out and bought a bunch of baby food to stock up, plus some food for the nanny throughout the day.  I also bought a couple of notebooks so she can keep track of the goings-on for each baby, especially with all of the therapy that will be coming for Caleb.  Then I bought a few magnetic note pads so she could document the time she came and left everyday and anything that we were running out of or needed to buy. 

We washed the bottles last night and had those ready for her, but we didn't have to actually make the bottles for the next day which was awesome! I did a giant load of baby laundry but didn't have time to fold it all...but she took some time to do that during the day as well!

I also bought her some flowers and a little card to welcome her to our family and express how grateful we are to have her in our home and sharing this journey with our babies.  I told her how important she is in their lives and how blessed we are to have found someone we can feel comfortable with taking on that responsibility. 

I have to say, today was pretty great! We got to check in on the babies throughout the day because of the cameras and then we saved a ton of time not having to drop off and pick them up.  Ben and I didn't carpool which was a lot of help, too, because I wanted to stay home for a few extra minutes to make sure Jessica had everything she needed and then I needed to stay at work a few minutes late to handle a last minute crisis that came up (pretty typical...).  It will be nice to have that flexibility again, as much as I loved the extra time I got to spend with Ben when we were carpooling every day.

All in all, this is a truly awesome change for our family.  I'm really looking forward to the extra time and the removed stress!!! We need it!

And before we get into the pictures, we want to throw a huge HAPPY BIRTHDAY out to Grandma out in Indiana! Yesterday was Ben's Mom's birthday and, while we can't be there to celebrate with her, I hope she knows that we're thinking of her!

Now if only I could stay on top of everything enough to throw the shout-outs on time rather than a day late! oy! Sorry Pam :) Happy Belated Birthday!!!

Crawling to catch Jessica!

Bubba hanging out with the nanny

I guess Caleb decided to take over the feeding at lunch time!

He definitely bats and and plays with the food a bit, but just won't put it in his mouth!

Dinner time with Mommy and Daddy!

SO happy when Daddy's around :)


Grace was skeptical about the peas.  We tried some new stuff today.  She actually ate her chicken and stars level 3 baby food that she's been spitting out recently!!! She wasn't feeling the peas still, though. But she LOVED the new organic puffs I bought.  She didn't love the chunks of raspberries I tried to feed her though.

Hey, I'll eat the chicken with stars but you're pushing it with the other stuff... Just give me cheerios and puffs, then I'll be happy. 

Look at those cute teeth! His top two front teeth are adorable.  He loved all of his food today- peas, puffs, chicken with stars, raspberries.  But he seems to be having some trouble with swallowing solid food now, which wasn't ever a problem before. It just sounds like he's doing it wrong and his swallowing is really loud and high pitched, it's very strange.  And sometimes it seems to hurt a little and make him pretty mad. :(  But man was he doing awesome at drinking from his sippy cup. It still chokes him a little, but he can drink for a while without dropping his arms or pulling away like he used to!

No comments:

Post a Comment