Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Story #21 - Playing

I miss my babies! I just feel like I don't get to see them nearly enough during the week.  I got home around 4:30 today and they were lights out by 6:30.  A half hour of that was bath time and bedtime, which is mostly just go-go-go until they're down. I just miss them- they're so stellar. I want to see all of the amazing things they're doing all day long!

I was lucky that Jessica sent me a picture message today of the babies in their high chairs, just finishing up spaghetti with meat sauce for lunch. I love those sauce covered faces!

I also am LOVING that she takes pictures of the babes during the day. It takes a weight off of my shoulders to know that I don't have to go grab the camera after work in my short window of time with them. I can just sit on the floor and roll around, laughing and chatting with them. 

Here's a fabulous shot that Miss Jessica got today.  I didn't get a chance to talk to her about it, but I know that it had to be pretty sweet.

How fun will it be when they can walk together!? :)

Oh, and here's a good one that I see pretty much all the time...

Sister, you're crushing my leg.
Brother, you're a very cushy spot to sit down.

I love the idea of them playing together.  They're getting there.  Grace is all about going up to Caleb and poking at him. Caleb seems to be amused by it.  Once he gets a little more stable with his balance, I think a lot of fun will be had between the two of them!

Funny little story that I don't have a picture of: We have started placing the pack n' play in front of the door to the playroom because Grace will tug on the cord that's behind the door if we close it.  If we leave it open, she's gone in an instant- our little explorer.  So the pack n' play has substituted as gate until we actually get our lazy butts to the store to pick out gates for the house. 

Grace isn't too fond of the whole "I can see outside through the pack n' play and I know that there's a way out, but I can't make it" thing.  She stands at the pack n' play beating on it, trying to scoot it, trying to crawl underneath it. It's adorable and I'm sure incredibly frustrating for the little miss. 

Well, Ben and I were on the floor working with Caleb on some crawling practice when I turned around and saw Grace actually successfully scooting the pack n' play.  She figured out the angle that works to push on it so she can actually move it.  So, I replaced it and tried to distract her.  About a minute later, she was back over there but this time she was squeezing her body through a very tiny crack in between the door frame and the pack n' play. 

She basically houdini'd her way out of that play room in no time at all.

We're in trouble.


Last night was a bit rough for me. I had trouble sleeping with all of the thoughts racing through my mind.  Of course, that was the night that the babies decided they were going to be perfectly fine sleeping.  Caleb didn't wake up until 4:30 then went back to sleep by 5 after I fed him and Grace slept until 6:30.  I couldn't fall asleep until 12 and then couldn't for the life of me get back to sleep after 5. 

I'm still happy they slept! I would be much worse off if I didn't get those 4 hours of straight sleep!

Now I need to run to the store to get some milk of magnesia for Caleb's constipation (we're going to start trying that daily to see if it helps).  Have I mentioned that Ben and I have been skipping dinner pretty much most nights.  Oh, and I've been eating donuts for breakfast regularly.  Or anything that I can find on the run at the office.  Sometimes I'll grab a greek yogurt and feel incredibly proud of myself for 30 minutes...until I spot that donut and then tack that onto my responsible yogurt breakfast.  Me = Last Priority right now. This has to change at some point. I just don't know how to do that right now.

I'll get there.  We'll get there.

Things are coming along with birthday planning, at least moreso than a couple of weeks ago! Theme has been decided upon, shopping has begun (only window shopping at this point, but lots of fun ideas are brewing), and Nicole is on the job for invitations!!! She's awesome at all of this stuff, so I'm admitting my weaknesses and leveraging my resources. :) Thanks Aunt Nicole!!!

This is Caleb's typical "I want to sit up or stand up or be held" position. He tries to crunch himself upright.  Buddy, not gonna work.  You've been trying this for months now and you'd be some sort of super-baby if you could actually crunch yourself into a standing position.  ;)  We'll get there!

What IS this? Yeah, we're not sure either.  Very tiny dog door...I guess.  Cat door? Eh, it's a good object of exploration for Gracie, that's what it is.

Sing it Buddy!  Caleb said a couple of "D" sounds today!

2 comments:

  1. I wish I knew the right words to say to help you through this. There's an old saying that a Mother's worry is never done. I know that through experience. I think the hardest thing about being a mother is that you can't control what happens to your children. You can't control their heartache, their bumps and bruises, their nightmares, all you can do is pray for them and be there for them.
    I want you to know that I am praying for you and I am here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture of the two of them standing up side by side is awesome! Looking forward to the birthday party.
    Now, you've got to take care of yourself too. I know that it's easier to just let that part slide and worry about everyone else. Buy some fruit and some protein bars, or something, and have it with you. Both you and Ben have got to be strong for this job ahead of you.

    ReplyDelete