Do you remember that feeling you had the night before your first day of school? Be it your first day of middle school, your first day of high school, or even just your first day back from summer break. It's a feeling of nervousness, worry, a little excitement. Mostly wonder- what will it be like, who will I see, will I know the people in my classes? Will I make friends? Will they like me?
I'm feeling a mixture of all of those feelings plus an added scoop of guilt this evening. I've been hurrying around the house packing up crib sheets, diapers, bottles, forms. I spent an absurd amount of time picking out their outfits...the perfect outfits to ensure the teachers would find them utterly adorable and irresistable. Finding the right mixture of not too hot and not too cold...preparing for an unknown temperature and unknown feelings. Of course making sure to pick out the perfect changes of clothes for those given blow outs.
I'm thinking about how they'll sleep- will their cribs be close to eachother so they will know they still have one another? Will they be in the back of the class so it's not too loud...or too far back so the teachers could forget about them?
Will they miss me?
I'm going to miss them so, so much. I know I was away from them for the same amount of time last week, but they were just a text away. A picture message in my inbox. A good feeling knowing daddy was comforting their cries and rocking them to a perfect drowsy state before putting them down.
There is so much unknown.
But I do know one thing. These babies are pretty amazing. They're smiley and loving, and sensitive but smart. They're flexible and adaptable most of the time, and they're tougher than I give them credit for. They're going to smile, I know that. They're going to be curious and explore. They're giong to meet new babies and probably suck on those babies' hands. They're going to cry a bit, but they're going to get over it and love all of the new toys and new faces. They're going to learn to love whatever situation I put them in because they're just amazing like that.
I'll miss those amazing little ones tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment