I can't explain it. It's like nothing I've ever felt before, the pride I have for my children. What I knew as pride before seems so frivolous compared to what I have now felt when my son first smiled, when my daughter rolled over the first time, when my son first stood up in my arms...and when my daughter sat up on her own today.
It never occured to me the range of emotion that comes with the birth of one's children. I knew the responsibility, the love; I understood the commitment and loyalty that would come with these amazing people so new and so "us". Even if they weren't ours biologically, that love and commitment, it wouldn't differ- there's something about being the only people in the world to these tiny human beings...
I had heard that saying that when you have children, it's like your heart is walking around outside of your chest. I listened to these words, but the truth wasn't real until that first moment of sheer panic at the sound of my baby choking, wonderful joy at the smell of my child's freshly bathed skin, and intense pride at the sight of my twins accomplishing a new feat, reaching a new milestone. I will no longer ever be the same, I will always feel my heart outside of my body, experiencing life in a brand new way- through the eyes of my children.
 |
| First time sitting on her own! Using daddy's feet for a little assistance |
 |
| She's the cutest little peanut ever |
 |
| Mommy's hand always nearby...even while taking pictures (multi-tasking is key!) |
 |
| Probably one of the cutest pictures you'll ever see on the interwebs... no, I didn't stage this. They just do that all the time. love. |
And now Mommy and Me, Day 2!
 |
| Aw, the nail filing job |
 |
| Twenty little fingernails to file |
 |
| Yes, I've bitten a couple here and there |
 |
| Completely breaking all the rules and letting Caleb sleep in my arms...a Mommy's gotta break the rules every now and then- especially when it means golden Caleb snuggles (and Gracie snuggles, too) |
Wow, what a birthmonth present from Grace to her mommy!
ReplyDelete