Thinking about a year in the life of a twin mama, I'd say that most parents with twins have had to endure a fair amount of extra fussing due to baby jealousy. I can't remember exactly when it started, but these two littles don't love it when mama or dada hang out with the other little too much! Any parent of two knows about that in some fashion, I'm sure.
Recently, the kids have been experimenting with seeking attention through whining. Grace does a lot of pointing at something and grunting like a caveman and then starting her whining a few seconds later if this point-grunt combo didn't result in her desired outcome- be it learning the object's name, getting closer to the object, touching the object, putting the object in her mouth, or chucking the object at another object, namely mommy's face...
Caleb does a lot of attention whining right now, too. He will be completely content and usually giggly and smiley as long as he's being entertained or has exactly the toy he wants in that moment. But when we focus our attention on something...or someone...else, he loses it. Sometimes he'll skip the whining all together and move straight to the high pitched ear piercing screaming. "INSIDE VOICES"...this is going to be my new mantra (preferably not screaming it as that would obviously be hypocritical...).
Dinner time usually requires some form of ear muffs in order to prevent insanity. Ok, not exactly that bad- usually it's funny honestly. But sometimes, like tonight, the littles just can't be pleased. Either they don't like what I'm giving them or they want what is up next to be eaten or they want their cups or they have a tummy ache or they want they want they want. Honestly I'm not sure what they want most of the time, particularly Caleb. He just screams.
However, we've really hit a milestone with Grace's sign language! She knows how to sign "food", "more", "please" and sort of "thank you" (she makes it look just like food...). Food also means hungry and thirsty, which is a bit hard to decipher...but it's SO nice to be able to communicate with the boo bug! A couple of days ago, she was sitting in her high chair and I was asking "More?" and she would sign "more". Then, all of a sudden she signed "more" then "food" and then the "please" sign! I've been doing that little sentence in front of her a lot, and she hasn't done it again which means it was probably a fluke...but it was thrilling! :)
I can't wait until Caleb picks up the signs too. I need to learn some more for Grace- it's pretty awesome to be able to know what she wants sometimes (and to teach her to say please any time she's just straight demanding something like "take me there now, mother, or else"...it just feeeels nicer...).
;)
I'm loving all of this, even the whiney moments. I think back to the colic days. To the uncertainty of those hospital days. To the up ALL nights and the delirious pumping days. I think back and realize just how far we've come and how incredibly lucky we are. It's been quite a journey, quite a year. God knows what he's doing, that's for sure.
| Breakfast! You can't really see it but we are getting our pool resurfaced right now! It's almost done now and looks great! |
| Gracie signing "More" |
| Gracie signing "Please"! :) |
| Look at those cute little ears :) |
| All bundled up! We love winter!!! |
No comments:
Post a Comment