Second, let me apologize for missing yet another blogging day yesterday! This was an epic weekend jam packed with activities! We spent the night down in Chandler at my parents' house and I didn't get to bed until 1:30am last night...so there was no time for blogging. It was a great weekend...and I'm exhausted.
We started out with an early wake-up at 12:30am on Saturday morning...followed by another wake-up at 6am...and then the babies sleeping in until almost 7am. Of course, when they wake up at 6am, there's no hope for me getting back to sleep to enjoy the extra sleeping in. I'm on edge waiting for the next cry every single time. But Caleb didn't seem fully awake when he cried at 6, so I replaced his binky and left the room...waiting patiently to hear him scream that "how could you come in here and then just leave like that???" scream that I know too well. Instead, he passed out. Ha.
So I got up with them at 7 and we hung out until Daddy woke up around 8! Then it was off to the races. We did breakfast and then first nap at which point Ben and I showered and got ready for the day. Then immediately after they woke up we headed out to Vanguard to go to our annual Holiday Gala! This year, the company rented a circus to come in, so we took the babies to their first (and possibly last...) circus! I was pretty excited although ultimately terrified at what could happen. I was hoping they would like it, but to be honest, I've never really liked circuses myself. I have a problem with how most of them treat the animals...
So we got there when it was raining and had to walk (with no umbrella) from the parking garage, through the rain, out to the tent. We saw a lot of co-workers who were excited to meet the littles, and I was pretty happy to show them off! I dressed them both up in track suits that were adorable. Grace had her pink Minnie Mouse one on and Caleb had a black and red Nike one. :)
Everything was all good and well as we waited for the show to start. As soon as the lights dimmed and the spotlights started dancing, I looked over at Caleb and asked Ben how he was doing. Ben was holding him facing outward, so he couldn't really tell but as I looked closer I saw a very big frown on little man's face. And all of a sudden he completely lost it. He got bright red, tears started flowing, and he did his open mouth "how could you do this to me" wailing that I hate oh so much. Ben kept holding him for a while, bouncing him and trying to soothe him with binkies and hugs. After a couple of minutes, I tried my hand at it and traded with Ben. Grace had been perfectly conent to lounge in my arms, snacking on some animal crackers. She seemed to like the dancing lights!
I tried to bounce him and shush him but nothing was working. The show started and he would stop crying long enough to look at the center ring, seem mildly interested, and then proceed to wail some more. Sometimes it was correlated with the audience applause, but sometimes not. I knew he didn't like the lights flashing though, that's what got him in the first place.
After about ten minutes of trying to calm him down, I got up and walked down to the exit. We stood there close to the door for a little while and I was hoping that the distance would help. He still wasn't having it, so we braved the rain and went to the next tent over where they were handing out snacks. Unfortunately, that tent wasn't heated and I didn't grab Caleb or my jacket on the way out. We hung there for a couple of minutes and then had to go back to get warm.
It didn't take more than two minutes for him to freak out again after getting back into the big tent. The applause freaked him out and I got Ben's attention so he could pass my jacket through the crowd to me. We went back to the other tent and hung out for a bit again before trying yet again. Still, no go. So one more time, we went to the snack tent and sat together all bundled up in my jacket. He started to relax and laid his head on my chest. I fed him some animal crackers and graham crackers and he seemed much more calm. So I tried a third time to go back to the warm tent. This time, he didn't mind standing by the exit and watching the show. So I decided we'd try to go to our seats for a little while. It worked! For the entire rest of the show he was perfectly fine. He had his pacifier and he was facing me most of the time, but he didn't mind when the audience roared or when the lights flashed. He didn't even mind when the motorcycles came out and made a ton of noise. Strange.
Grace on the other hand was loving the show! She sat so well on Ben's lap almost the entire time. She was pointing at the cast and clapping with the music! She only started squirming when I came back and she noticed Caleb's binky, of course. I'd say my favorite part was when they brought out three elephants to do some cute tricks and Grace stared on in amazement- Caleb even turned around to watch that part a bit. He also turned around to watch the motorcycles, he seemed to kind of like them!
After the circus, we went home for lunch and their second nap before heading out yet again to go to my parents' Christmas party. I forgot until the last minute that I needed to bring a dessert and white elephant gifts, so I made some fudge with an hour to spare and we threw together our white elephants right before we left! We were nervous about the babies falling asleep in the car, but they were happy the entire time as long as I was tickling them from time to time.
The best part about the weekend was the babies' Christmas outfits for the party!!! They looked so cute and seeing everyone swoon over them was priceless! :)
We had a bit of trouble getting Grace down for bed with the party going on, remember she has crazy FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) just like her mommy. She did NOT want to be in bed. Ben stayed back in the back room with her for almost an hour trying to get her to go to sleep!
The party was a complete blast! Unfortunately, the babies didn't get the memo that we were up late partying and we needed them to sleep through the night. Grace got up at 3am and wouldn't go back to sleep. Ben brought her into bed with us (not our Cal King bed either) around 3:30. She then proceeded to claw at my face and smack me in the head multiple times until Caleb woke up at 5am. He, too, wasn't going back to sleep and had completely wet through his pajamas (without any backups of course...good going mommy). Just before 6am, I called it quits and we took the babies out to the family room. Luckily, Nana is the BEST Nana ever and when she woke up, she offered to watch the littles so Ben and I could go get some sleep. I slept until 9:30 and Ben got a special treat and slept until almost noon! The babies both napped (Grace slept for almost two hours) and then we decided we'd just hang there the rest of the day. It was so much fun to hang out with my parents and have a relaxing day watching Grace hug their Great Dane, Dozer, and watching Caleb pulling up onto his knees on every piece of furniture in their family room! I'm a proud mama.
So we finally headed home around 6:00 tonight after dinner with my parents. We were running out of diapers and it was time to hit the road! The babies fussed quite a bit when we tried to get them to eat more food at home, but they both went down really easily after bathtime which was nice. We'll see what tonight brings after such an eventful weekend!
Oh, and our nanny just let us know a couple of hours ago that she's sick and she won't be coming to work tomorrow. She's either fighting food poisoning or a stomach bug, but offered to come anyway. I, of course, said no- so Ben and I will be splitting half days at work tomorrow so we can be home with the babies.
Never a dull moment! But I love it!
Phew, what a weekend. This is the life!
| Caleb crawled all the way from the family room rug, through the dining room, through the living room, into the office and up to the stroller!!! He's a man on the move now! |
| C'mon, I want to go for a walk!!! |
| Look at the little lady with her little track suit. So cute! :) |
| Not the finest shot, but the only picture I got of Caleb at the circus. This was post-meltdown! |
| Grace finally got her binky! But she didn't need it, she was loving the circus! |
| After the circus while we were getting ready to go to the party...hugs for Daddy AND Caleb! |
| Who's that? That's Caleb! |
| Uh oh...those smiles won't last long if she keeps her finger in there much longer... |
| Awww! Hugs for Gracie! |
| LOVE this picture! My world! :) |
![]() |
| Santa chewing on Sophie on the way to the party! |
| Gracie at the party, little Ms. Claus! |
| Crawling Santa! Hahah, love the look on his face! |
![]() |
| This morning...Grace made a new friend! |
![]() |
| He would just roll over so she could get close and lounge with him! :) |
![]() |
| Hugs for the doggy! |
![]() |
| She loves Dozer! |





No comments:
Post a Comment