Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Year In The Life #5 - Doctors

A year in the life of a twin mama apparently brings an absurd amount of doctor's visits, phone calls, referrals, and paranoia!  I figure today's a good day to capture the roller coaster of doctor interactions we've had over the past year. 

I spent the morning with my phone right by my side awaiting a call back from Caleb's neurologist.  Now, I know that not all twin mamas have the kind of year that I've had in regards to health related issues with their babies.  I also know that plenty of singleton mamas (that's what us moms of multiples call those "regular" moms...) have even more crazy years full of health drama with their kiddos.  But this year has really set a new precedent for doctor visits!

So with my phone by my side, I waited patiently to get that call.  And of course, the moment that I turn my phone off to interview a new candidate for our company, the call comes in.  So I call back and he's not available.  And then he calls me right in the middle of a meeting...but I step away because I can't handle the phone tag anymore! 

We found out that Caleb had a chromosomal abnormality a while ago, and we have been awaiting some additional test results for a while now (they lost them...again...).  Today, we finally got those test results back and now little man has to see a geneticist for further review because of some "confusion" in the result verbiage.  Of course, that means we have to go to the pediatrician to get a referral because his new insurance requires prior auth and referrals...

I think back to 2012 and that incredible roller coaster and it's exhausting. It's exhausting...but also impressive. With everything that little man has been through, he's handled it all with superhuman strength and the most amazing smile...nearly every moment! He's a tough little dude! Gracie hasn't had the easiest go either with her ear infections, fever inducing hives, and insane diaper rashes! All the while, our family has taken it in stride and pushed through to the next day, the next call, the next visit. Of course, praying for no more emergency situations, but prepared and ready to make it through.

I'm proud of us. I'm proud, and I want 2013 to look NOTHING like 2012 as far as health issues are concerned. I want my kids to go to the doctor for their well child visits and maybe an occasional trip for a sniffle. I want my kids to avoid any hospitals, crazy tests, and worrisome phone calls. We know that Caleb will be getting another MRI when he turns two, but aside from that undoubtedly nerve-wracking experience, I want NO DRAMA! ;)

We'll be scheduling another follow up with our neurologist for January, and every two months after that. We'll also have another well child visit in January...but I can't believe that we're going to have to find a new pediatrician soon. I'm going to miss Dr. Rampley, she's like family to me now. She's seen too many of my tears not to be. I'm sure we'll find someone amazing in Chandler who will care about our kids just as much, and want nothing but health and sass for each of them! :)


And now, for some adorable pics!

Hiiiieeeeeee!

Look at how cute those bottom two teeth are.

Peek...

... A Boo!

Pulling up to a kneel!

I got about thirty pictures of Caleb at dinner tonight because I LOVED what his hair was doing.  He looked so dapper...and it just happened like that. I wish I could replicate it.

Mmm...dinner is delish! Shoving my face...

Licking my fingers...

And looking for more!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment