Friday, January 13, 2012

Day 13...very Friday the 13th around here.

First- I'm SO excited that I got a comment from Renee!!! Nee- I'll call you soon, and I still have the same number, but my phone sucks so...yeah.  :) Thanks for reading and commenting!

Second- rough day today. Rough, rough day.  Friday the 13th kinda day.

Woke up for the 3am feeding and Caleb's eye was glued shut.  I mean, the gunk was caked on there.  I fed him and Grace together cuz they both were both totally pissed at how hungry they were ("how could you let us GET this hungry, mom? how COULD you?").  I put Grace down and took one more look at Caleb's eye in the light- I couldn't do it.  I couldn't put him down like that- it looked like the gunk was going to take over his entire face.  So- I went against my better judgement and got a warm, wet paper towel to try and dissolve some of it away. This woke Caleb WAY up and he got even more pissed ("how could you take a wet object to my sore eye in the middle.of.the.night, mom? How COULD you?").  We had crying, we had screaming, we had a whole lotta flailing and then we had another 30 minutes of "hell no I'm not going to bed alone now, are you out of your mind?".

After pumping it was 5am before I got back to bed.

Luckily I have an amazing husband who takes the next feeding so I could sleep a bit.  But unfortunately he was super late to get ready for work because the babies chose to sleep a bit longer so he couldn't finish feeding Caleb.  So I fed him a bit more in bed around 8am and tried to just lay him down in there with me- he's not like Grace in that way.  He won't just pass out if he's in bed with me. He flails. He grunts. He wakes up all.the.time.  Finally I got fed up and got out of bed around 9ish.  Then Grace starts crying, so she joined Caleb and I in bed so I could pump cuz it had been way too long.  Oy!

Well, Caleb's eye returned to it's uber gunky state and I just couldn't take it anymore.  The eye drops obviously weren't doing a good enough job- so I called the pediatrician to see if there was something else I should be doing for him over the weekend (they said to give it a week and come back if it wasn't better- which would be Monday).  Nope- they wanted to see him asap if it was getting worse.  And that meant squeezing us in...in 45 minutes. And I was just getting started feeding them when they told me. So I had to feed both babies, get all three of us dressed and ready to leave, get the diaper bag ready, load up the car and get there in 45 minutes. Ha.  I was 15 minutes late and a total wreck when we got there.  They tried to tell me I couldn't see the doctor cuz we were so late- "Can you come back in an hour?"  NO!  So they let me see the doctor and I proceeded to cry as soon as I sat down in room number 11. 

By the way- Caleb's still huge. He weighed 14lbs 13oz today with his clothes on.

Doc's worried about the eye.  Two serious infections in his short 2 and a half months is no good.  She prescribed an oral antibiotic for 2x per day (which is bright orange and now covering one of his really cute onesies....ugh), told me to keep doing the eye drops three times per day, informed me that I would need to wash his eye area three times a day with baby shampoo (!) and said we would need to see an opthamologist cuz she's worried.  Oh, and I have to bring him back on Monday (and tomorrow if it's worse then- he'll need to be seen immediately if it gets red again or anymore swollen).  Lovely.

Poor little dude had a ROUGH day- and he let us know about it this evening.  He screamed his head off during the 8pm feeding- took me a loooong time to actually feed him.  Grace didn't like this, so she thought it was best to go ahead and scream her head off, too.  There was actually a point when both both babies were screaming and the cat was meowing- so of course, Ben and I had to scream, too.  If anyone was walking by our house- I'm sure it sounded like a horror movie in here.

They're both asleep right now in the living room- Grace in daddy's arms and Caleb in the swing.  This means bad, bad things for falling asleep in their cribs tonight. I'm super worried, cuz I need some sleep, badly after today.

I will say that I got to sneak away and get my eyebrows waxed when Ben came home early from work to save my stressed out mess of a self.  After I got waxed and went to the grocery store to buy more infant gas drops, I came home to a completely clean house, bottles washed, laundry folded, and two sleeping babies. ofcourse.

;)

Here's Grace right now:


Here's a shot of Caleb being a little champ earlier today after I cleaned out his eye :(


did i do ok, mommy?


Poor baby. Hopefully tomorrow is a better day for little man.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry you are having such a tough time. Bless little Caleb. His eye looks so sore.

    ReplyDelete