I've been trying to teach the babies how to pick up their pacifiers and put them in their own mouths recently. It hasn't been going so well.
Caleb has trouble getting it to his mouth. He can grasp it and pull it up, but he usually ends up putting his hands in his mouth while he's holding the binky rather than putting the binky in his mouth.
Grace, on the other hand, is much closer to completing this task. Today, I was holding her in my lap facing out while we were winding down for a nap. She dropped her binky so instead of putting it in her mouth, I held it in my hand out in front of her. She grabbed the binky, pulled it to her mouth and put it in! The only problem was it was backwards, so she was mouthing the back of the binky.
I tried it again and this time she grabbed it and put the side of it in her mouth, so she was chewing on the plastic. This went on for a couple of minutes, her trying to get it in her mouth and inevitably dropping it as she mouthed every part of that binky but the actual sucky part.
So I tried one more time, and instead of grabbing the binky, she grabbed my hand and fingers with both of her hands, pulled my whole hand toward her face, and lunged at the proper part of the binky as it was lying in my hand. Smart girl. She successfully got the binky in her mouth, she just needed a larger platform!
Baby steps.
A couple of my good friends from college are in town and I got to go out to dinner with them tonight after bedtime. I think that Caleb must have known I was trying to leave right after we put them down, because he had a massive meltdown and Ben stood by his crib trying to calm him down for a good 30 minutes as I finished getting ready...and felt enormously guilty. One point for Caleb.
It was great to talk with my friends and I'm really looking forward to hanging out with them tomorrow again. Yes, I'm leaving the babies for the ENTIRE day! I'm a little nervous, and a little excited. This will be my first time away from them for any length of time. I know I'm gonna miss them like crazy, but I think it'll be good for me to take a break...and get used to being away from them (work...boo). We'll see how it goes. Ben's going to be with them all day, hopefully they give him some good naps (unlike today's 20 minute nap max for Mr. Caleb...that and being up FIFTEEN times last night with Caleb threw off my whole day so I couldn't take the babies to see our RE like I wanted...hopefully next week). I'm sure they'll be great for him, they love their daddy! And he's so good with them.
No comments:
Post a Comment