No, we're not anywhere near the "Mine!" phase (oh but it's coming fast, I'm sure), but today the babies showed me their first bit of "toy envy"!
I put Grace down on her tummy with her rattle just in front of her. Then I put Caleb down on his tummy with Sophie just in front of him...and they were facing each other. Caleb instantly started watching Grace do her gnawing on the rattle, and decided that he'd try to reach for Sophie. But that giraffe just isn't easy to grab sometimes. He's still working out that grabbing reflex and missed several times, until he sorta gave up and just watched Grace for a bit. Then I saw Grace looking at the Sophie that was close to Caleb. She kept chewing on her rattle, but would stop every once in a while when Caleb would hit it and it would squeak.
Then, I saw it. Caleb reached AROUND the Sophie toward the rattle. They weren't far apart, and he wasn't so far from the rattle that it'd be out of the question for him to have it. So he started going for it. He was lunging and reaching, and hitting the Sophie every once in a while when it got in the wait. Grace would look up at it every time.
As I watched Caleb struggle to get at the other toy, I realized that the rattle was much more condusive to his limited grabbing skills with all of the colorful loops to hang onto. So I did the toy swap! I brought Sophie over toward Grace and she immediately went for it, so I could pull the rattle away. I put the rattle in front of Caleb and he grabbed it right away and started chewing with delight!
Problem was, Grace noticed the rattle was no longer in her posession and seemed a bit irritated. I appeased her with lots of Sophie squeaking, but Caleb accidentally dropped the rattle in his excitement and Grace grabbed it to add to her prized collection. Poor little man! I'm thinking a second rattle might be necessary. :)
 |
| Caleb eyeing that rattle |
 |
| After Mommy swooped in for the swap! |
 |
| Yay! |
 |
| The rattle drop about to happen... |
 |
| Look at her full of pride with both of her treasures...and poor Caleb just dying to reach! |
No comments:
Post a Comment