Ben and I decided that we want to keep up the photo every day, because it's so fun to have all of these pics of the babies and see how they're changing (oh my gosh they change SO fast, Grace already looks so different from December,and of course Caleb is like 5 pounds heavier...). I was thinking I'd do a photo challenge every day, like Monday is photo-with-mommy day, Tuesday is photo-together day...but I'm afraid that I'll forget to take that particular photo during the day and then there's no way I'm waking up the babies to take a particular photo right before I blog. So that one's out.
So I decided I'd do "February Lessons" of the different things I'm learning, using, or wish I knew with our 3-4 month old twins. It'll be fun to look back at these lessons and see just what's changed in my mindset as I get more and more used to this mommy thing...and as the twins get easier (they really do get easier, even though I'm sure we'll have some hard times ahead with things like grabbing, crawling, solid foods, walking, potty training, the "no" phase, and on and on... but I'm really feeling like having two newborns at once may just top all of that, especially being a first time mom. We'll see!).
I'll be taking a photo every day as well to cap off the post, just for our sake (and hopefully y'all like seeing the littles, too), and I'll write out some form of lesson, or something I've googled, or something having to do with learning how to take care of these babies! :)
Lesson #1: Continue to breastfeed/feed breastmilk when mom's sick! I had to google it, because this is my first time being sick since the babies were born, and I wasn't sure whether I'd need to pump and dump and just use my freezer stash (which is substantial), or if I could just continue feeding them breastmilk. Turns out, there's no reason to stop. Apparently, "most common illnesses, such as colds, flu, or diarrhea, can't be passed through breast milk. In fact, if a mother is sick, her breast milk will have antibodies in it. These antibodies will help protect her baby from getting the same sickness".
It's been a tough day, I was hoping I'd feel better today than yesterday but I'm actually a little worse. I've got a full blown cold now, complete with runny nose and sneezing- so I'm super paranoid about getting the babies sick if they haven't caught it already. But there's not much I can do. I'm washing my hands all the time, but I've sneezed around them more than once (usually I'll sneeze right when I'm feeding one- I look away but I can't really cover my mouth, it's just a hot mess). Hopefully they've both built up some good antibodies- I really, REALLY don't want to deal with another stuffy Caleb who can't breath...or see what Gracie is like sick. She hasn't really been sick (other than a little stuffiness when Caleb was super sick), and I don't want to test it out! I know they're gonna get sick at some point, especially when we put them in daycare, but I'd rather wait until they're a bit older to expose them if possible. That's why we've decided...drumroll...that I'm not going back to work until April!!! I know a lot of you already know this, but I haven't officially announced it until now. I'm really excited to get this extra time off to spend with the babies, to help keep them healthier (yeah, not working out right now), and to really bond with them before I have to be away from them for most of the day. I absolutely hate the idea of putting them in daycare at all right now, so any extra time is such a blessing.
I haven't decided exactly when in April, but it will be by the middle of the month at the latest. I might go back at the beginning of the month to help out with tax season, but we're still deciding. They'll only be 5 months at that point and I'd like to get them as close to six months as possible (plus, the daycare that we chose has two infant rooms- one for under 6 months and one for over 6 months, and I like the over-six-month teachers better!)
Oh man, choosing the daycare is a whole other blog post. I'm not feeling great about our choice right now so we might have to re-evaluate when it gets closer. I'm thinking having them closer to work might be worth the extra money and me not loving the teachers as much- it would be nice to not have to drive out of the way and to be able to stop in. Now that they're here, I can get a better picture of what my priorities are for daycare, and the occasional stop-in (while they're still really little) is pretty high on that list. Once they get older I won't want to stop in and get them all mad that they can't leave, but for now, I want to be able to see them!!!
Ok, rant over. We'll figure that out once it gets a bit closer.
One more thing I wanted to write about- we totally blew the dream feed last night. I remembered at the last minute that the babies had been waking up kinda sweaty in the morning from being in their miracle blankets. We've been putting them in footy pajamas and the blankets, that's it, but they still seem sweaty. So I decided we should try something lighter, like a short sleeve onesie alone with the blanket. Unfortunately, I remembered this after they had already fallen asleep, so we had to feed them, then change them completely before swaddling. Not good. They both totally woke up, aah! Luckily they were tired enough that they fell back asleep with a little more food. They woke up this morning a lot less sweaty, but their legs and feet were a little cold. I don't know what to do. If I put socks on them, they'll just fall off in the leg pocket (the miracle blanket looks like this:
And I feel like footed pants will be just as hot as the footed pajamas. Any ideas?
So here are our pics for February 1! Lots of random photo ops throughout the day. | Grace in Mommy's bed cuz she woke up a little earlier than anticipated (still after 9am though, the second time) |
| Little man in blue jeans!!! This was the first time I've put either of them in denim! SO CUTE. Oh, and that onesie is 6-9 months, yikes! |
| Playing in his jeans (I ended up taking them off cuz I wasn't sure he'd nap with them on...I'll have to try again) |
| Grace was sleeping like this with her hand up, I had to get a picture! |
| Look at how cute little lady is in that green onesie! |
| She's changing every day! Don't grow up, little face! |

No comments:
Post a Comment