Sunday, February 12, 2012

Lesson #12 Nom Nom Nom

Lesson 12: Just because you may be breastfeeding twins and therefore burning a bajillion calories every day, that does not mean that breakfast = butterfinger.

I'm seriously, SERIOUSLY struggling with my eating habits.  I've got wicked body image issues right now, rightfully so I'd say with the whole just having twins a few months ago thing.  I'm not fitting into any clothes and looking in the mirror isn't exactly something I look forward to.  I will say that it's not as bad as I thought it was gonna be in a lot of ways.  I had horrible images of stretch marks and sagging skin running through my mind as my belly grew, and grew, and grew.  I don't have any of that, I'm just not "fit" per say.  I have no tone and my waist line is larger than is acceptable.  But, I feel like I can improve this.

I haven't worked out in over a year, really.  We started IVF #2 in January/February 2011 so I wasn't really working out from then on (especially once the hyperemesis hit and I was bed ridden, at that point all "tone" went out the window.  The babies ate all my muscle.)

So I started running at the beginning of this year like I wanted to, and it's been going "ok".  Not great, but not horrible.  I'm running a few times a week when I'm not horrifically sick. Not fast or "well" by any means, but I'm moving one foot in front of the other.

However, breastfeeding (pumping) makes me SOOOO hungry.  And running has always made me wicked hungry as well. Add those two together on top of not caring what I ate in the slightest for the past year or so (when all I could eat was banana nut bread, I let my glorious goals of eating organic during pregnancy fall to the way-side) and I've got a recipe for "maternity pants til 2013".  Not cool.

I've started thinking more and more about this recently. I cut myself some slack for the first couple of months post-partum.  But since I started thinking about how awful I'm eating, I actually started eating worse.  Not sure how that happened.  I think it was starting my running routine, it made the hunger out of control and if there was a candy bar or a potato chip within 50 feet I'd be all over that.

I need healthy snacks that are super easy to eat.  I don't have a ton of time to be "fixing" food for myself during the day...and if I do because the littles are napping, I'm terrified of making noise and waking them up.  So I grab the easiest, most conveniently "wrapped" item in the pantry and wolf it.

Healthy ex-athlete, no?

I went to the grocery store today and bought some healthier stuff and avoided the "yummiest" snacks all together.  Lots of fruits, some veggies, a few whole grain snacky foods.  I really need to start keeping an eye on my calorie intake again.  Apparently, producing about 24-28 ounces of breastmilk per day burns about 500 calories.  That's about how much Grace eats.  Add another 40 or so (except for recently) for Caleb and I'm burning a good 1300 calories every day by pumping.  No wonder I'm so hungry...but I need to watch it.  I'm sure I've consumed well over 3500 calories pretty much every day since we got into a routine (when I lost weight wicked fast, I was eating maybe one meal a day and grazing on tiny snacks when I had time...which was maybe twice a day. Not good.  I'm lucky it didn't totally tank my supply!)  I probably need to eat around 2800, maybe 3000 daily to keep things going on the pumping front.  But they need to be good calories, not crap junk food. 

This is tough...I love sugary, salty foods.  :(  We'll see how this goes!

I forgot to mention that the babies have been doing great on sleep and Friday night, after falling asleep pretty early, they slept until 8am!!! Usually I hear them waking up periodically every hour or so throughout the night, but they didn't wake up once from 11pm - 6am.  They didn't fully wake up for food until 8 though and it was amazing!

Last night we, of course, had some disturbances from the weird schedule.  Grace woke up crying at 2am and then Caleb at 4am.  We gave them binkies outside of the crib but no food until they woke up at 6:30 (there was another waking at 5:30 but I didn't need to go in their room).  Then they slept again until 10am.  Not bad. 

Tonight, Caleb fell asleep around 8:30pm in his swing!!!  He fussed at 7:00 when he woke up from a nap and we weren't supposed to feed him until 8, so we tried the Baby Einstein video (thanks Bri and Nicole) and it absolutely quieted him down.  He didn't get sleepy, he was totally enthralled by it.  But there wasn't any fussing which I was SO happy about.

Grace is going through a growth spurt and got mad after the 8pm bottle (she at 6oz which is a LOT for her). Took her about an hour and a half to fall asleep.  We'll see how the rest of the night goes.

Here they are:

Have you ever seen a chubbier little man??? He's so happy!

Playing on the water mat

A NEW jumper!!!  From Uncle Brian and Aunt Nicole :)

I can actually reach the ground, Mom!



No comments:

Post a Comment