Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Lesson #21 Give and Take

Lesson 21: The binky.  It has its pluses and it has its minuses.  That's for sure. 

I've been saved many-a-time by a faithful binky in a store, out on a walk, or at the doctor's office when one or both babies just weren't having it and needed the distraction to get them through. 

And then there are days like today when I realize that my babies have a binky addiction and I'm the enabler.  They have their binkies replaced an unimaginable times per nap/day and it's not getting any better.  I don't know why I thought that maybe they'd grow out of that and nap better without needing the binky to be replaced.

So today I tried to let them fuss it out sans binky in their cribs during naptime.  It was a horrific mess that will not be repeated tomorrow.  Not yet.  I need to get their four month shots under our belt (I can't let a baby in pain cry for a binky, I just can't do it) and then get a little more research done on this whole Cry It Out thing...I just don't feel comfortable with it yet, but I keep pushing it.

I'd rather them not cry at all, really.  I've read so many books and I'm just confused on how to train them "appropriately" to sleep better, nap better, or just be on a better routine. 

I think a lot of it comes down to our late morning wake-time.  I let them go a really long time between their middle of the night feed (which is usually around 5am) and the next feed which I treat as the first feed of the day (usually around 10am after waking around 9:30).  I need to start waking them up at the same time every day, and it needs to be a reasonable hour.  So I'm going to slowly transition this, moving it up about 15 minutes every day or so.  We'll see how it goes.  Hopefully we don't get to a point where they wake up to eat at 5am and then fall back asleep to just be woken up again at 7...but I'm guessing that's gonna happen. Hopefully they will soon realize that they'll get fed at 7 so they can just wait until then.  I don't know if that's crazy wishful thinking.  For now, we'll do the dance slowly, working our way to a 7am wake-up, no matter when they woke up before that. 

When I go back to work, I think wake-up will have to be 6am in order for me to be out the door by 8am. I think I can do that. We'll see.

For now, I'm going to continue replacing binkies, but I'm going to try to do it in their cribs instead of in the living room.  They need to get used to sleeping in their cribs during the day.  :( Not gonna be easy. Poor babies!

Here was bathtime:

Haha! Double chin!

He's definitely going to have his Daddy's eyes! They're turning hazel and they are beautiful!

Grace playing with mommy while she waits for her turn in the tub!

I'm so glad that she was still smiley today even though I made her cry far more than I would have liked :(

She's got a little chub, too!  And she has beautiful deep blue eyes right now, I wonder if they'll stay that way? Can't wait to see how much they weigh at their 4 month appointment on Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment