Monday, February 20, 2012

Lesson #20 MoMs

Lesson 20:  Throughout history, motherhood has been a team effort.  It was not a journey taken by a woman, but rather by a tribe, a family, a group of women joining together to ensure the needs of the baby, and the mother, are met.  This is still such an important lesson!

Tonight, I got to go out with my MoMs (mothers of multiples) group and chat with the other ladies who have been or are walking in my shoes.  These women who know what it's like to have one baby waiting while the other is being tended to...to have one baby need you while the other needs you as well.  It was so good to get out and talk to them about their experiences, get their take on some of  our challenges.

And their recommendation?  Cry it out.  Period. Hands down.  Not one MoM told me that I should wait it out or that I'm doing the right thing by waking up who-knows-how-many times each night/nap to replace a binky or feed a baby.  They need to be on a strict schedule and they need to learn to be on our schedule, not their own.

Tough pill to swallow, but it seems to be the tested and approved method.  Now it's figuring out whether, or really how, I can do it.  I know I should. It still feels too early, like they're too young.  They haven't figured out how to suck on their fingers to help them soothe themselves. They can't pick up their own binkies to replace them...but apparently they won't figure these things out unless they need to...and that makes sense.  It just hurts thinking about it, and that means it's gonna hurt like hell actually doing it.

Number one argument- they're going to be in for a rude awakening when they're thrown into daycare in about a month and no one is there to replace their binkies every thirty seconds during their naps so they can fall asleep.  End of story.  I hate the idea of them having to adjust to a new environment as well as adjusting to a lack of attention and having to learn to self soothe all at once.  That'd be just plain cruel.  So hopefully they'll learn over the next month as long as I teach them.  Mama's gotta suck it up. ugh.

I want them to be newborns forever...but with better sleeping habits. ;)


In other news, today was a BIG day around here because...drumroll...CALEB LAUGHED FOR THE FIRST TIME TODAY!!! Yay!!!

It was so cute, such a little low laugh for such a big guy.  I'm sure it'll get bigger and louder, I mean, if his smile is any indication this boy's gonna have the biggest goofiest laugh ever.  :-D  But today it was little, and sweet, and just so very new.  He was lying on the ottoman and I was tickling his neck and he just did it.  Just for a second.  And it was perfect.

Today was actually Mommy Daughter day today.  For a while now I've had a lot of my attention taken by Caleb because poor little dude's still working out his colic issues.  He has an easier time settling down when I hold him or soothe him rather than Daddy, and it's been that way since the beginning.  But it goes both ways, because our little lady is 100% Daddy's girl.  She will fall asleep in his arms far easier than in mine, and I swear to you, she laughs at him so easily and I have to work for it big time.  She just loves her daddy, and they have this amazing connection.  All it takes is one look from him and her face lights up.  I can squeal and laugh and tickle her all day for one little giggle, but Daddy just needs to hold her and flash her his smile and she's a gonner. 

So today we switched roles a bit.  I spent a little more time cuddling and playing with Grace so we could bond a bit and Daddy got to snuggle and play with Caleb. It was a great day!  I mean, of course I still held Caleb (and tickled his neck to make him laugh!) and he still played with Grace, we both love these babies so much. 

So, here's to a night out with the ladies, a boy's first laugh, and a day with my daughter! I'll worry about the sleep habits at 3am. :)


Happy little man!


Grace Face!

Hi Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment