Tuesday, October 16, 2012

What A Year #16 - The Curse Of The Blog...

Go back and read yesterday's post.  At least read the title. 

I am seriously considering never writing about the good things that are going on again!  It's the curse of the blog and it struck today.

So I just wrote that I felt like things could be getting back to normal.  Like we finally had steady child care. 

We woke up this morning to a text message from Christy telling us that she couldn't come to watch the kids today- she was sick all night and couldn't keep anything down. 

So we called our awesome back-up nanny who I met the last time this type of thing happened and by the grace of God she was available.  She could make it over by 8:30 this morning so Ben stayed home for the first hour of the day and I headed into work because it's my first couple of weeks in the job and I've already been MIA too much. 

Ok, one hurdle crossed. 

Then, around 12:30 I'm sitting in a meeting with my phone on vibrate and I get a call from a number I don't recognize. I obviously ignored it...I was in a meeting.  About three minutes later, the same number.  I took note, but ignored it again.  Then the third call I excused myself from the meeting and answered- it was our babysitter's dad (he used to work for me) who was letting me know that he had finally just gotten ahold of Ben and he was on his way home but that our babysitter had locked herself out of the house with the babies inside...

Yeah.

He let me know that she also locked her phone inside so she ran around the neighborhood trying to find someone home and finally called 911 from our neighbor's house across the street. She also called her dad because she knew he had my phone number...smart girl!!!

So I called Ben and he had just left so I decided to leave, too. I just needed to know what was going on and I knew I'd be too distracted at work anyway. 

When Ben pulled up to our house, the fire department was just leaving.  Apparently they got in through our back door using a credit card (!!!) so they didn't have to break the door down or anything.  We were EXTREMELY lucky that Grace was actually in her crib this whole time (crying her head off) so she was safe and Caleb was lying on the carpet in the family room (the one time we're super glad he's immobile!!!).  I can't even begin to imagine if Grace was hanging in the family room by herself.  We have plenty throughout our downstairs that isn't fully baby proofed that we just keep her away from.  If she had free range to the house...we'd be in big trouble.  Time to fix that problem, eh?

Our poor babysitter was completely traumatized although she handled it like a pro.  She was super calm but did everything that I would have wanted her to.  She felt awful, though.  I thanked her profusely for being so awesome...she even offered to come back tomorrow if our nanny cancels again.

Ok, so second hurdled crossed.

I also mentioned yesterday that Grace was teething but seemed perfectly fine to us.  She decided to show me tonight. She was SO angry all evening.  I shouldn't have written about how good of a teether she is...she fussed for almost two hours tonight. I gave her some tylenol so we'll see if she sleeps some tonight. She was up quite a bit last night.  Apparently this second tooth isn't being as nice to her as the first one. I'm so not used to her fussing- she's usually pretty chill unless she's around someone new. 

Poor boo bear.

Phew, ok...so that was our day today.  Not exactly the "back to normal" day that I explained yesterday. At this point, all I'm gonna say is that I hope tomorrow is a little less eventful on the "emergency department" front.

HOWEVER! That's a big however!  We also had an awesome event occur today- one for the books. I actually cried it was so awesome!

Caleb had physical therapy today and as soon as the therapist showed up we launched into our usual synopsis of how awesome Caleb is and the cool new things he's doing (and some of the concerns we might have).  We told her all about how he pushed up from his belly into a crawl and how he was rolling really well and even looking closer and closer to sitting up on his own.  So we all sat down and were about to start into the therapy when Caleb rolled over and bonked his head on my knee, trapping him in this awkward face-into-my-knee position.  So, I guess he decided he'd remedy that situation by just rolling over again and sitting himself straight up...ALL BY HIMSELF!!!!

Yes, Caleb sat up by himself today!

I literally cried.  We all started cheering and totally freaked him out, I'm sure.  We were clapping and so excited, and I just lost it. I've been waiting for this moment for months! We've been rolling him over and forcing him to help himself as we gave him some support to push himself up...but he never would do it on his own. And today, he just did it.  :) I'm so, so proud of him!

He hasn't done it again, but I'm sure it won't be long before he's just pushing himself into a sit like it isn't any trouble.  That's my little man! :)

5/7/12

5/7/12 Pulling himself into a sit with some help :)



Grace Fuss Face

Look Ma, my teeth hurt, ok?

Yay, I'll go walk over to Daddy!

Daddy makes me feel better!!!


Aw boo, still not the happiest little bug.


Chillin in his favorite place, the bouncer! He earned it today!!!

Handsome boy

Love this shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment