Tuesday, October 23, 2012

What A Year #23 - Missing Daddy!

Tonight was our first bedtime without Daddy in a LONG time! Bedtime went well, actually, but dinner time was a hot mess.  Caleb started freaking out when I went to go clean up rather than sit in front of him and watch him eat, and it went downhill from there. Not sure why.  But when he was done eating and I started bedtime with him, I left Grace in her high chair with some snacks, a cup of water, and a binky...and she was awesome.  Caleb went down easily and Grace only started fussing when she saw me take Caleb in to bed.  Then she was perfect throughout the rest of bedtime- went down easily and everything!

But it wasn't the same.  The whole night wasn't the same.  I feel like this post is very fitting for my "What A Year" themed month because I learned so much about my wonderful husband in the last 366 days. I truly am amazed at what an amazing father he is, even though I knew early on that he would be a wonderful dad.  He's so much more than "involved" like you hear women bragging about.  When I hear another mother say how lucky she is that her husband's so involved...I almost feel bad.  I feel guilty about how lucky I am.  My husband is just as "involved", if not moreso, as I am in raising our beautiful children!

He's home before I am from work on most days and I'm away far more than he is for silly little things.  He's always there and he's so, so good with our kids.  It's completely natural to him.  Those first few days when he wasn't waking up to their cries and couldn't hang with the hour or two of sleep per night are long, long gone.  He's now getting up on his "off" nights when I'm too slow! He has these little connections with the babies that I'm sure I'll never have- he's already their hero.  He can make them both laugh like no one can and he can calm them both down in an instant. 

Tonight, we were all playing in the playroom after our lonely walk around the block without daddy. I got down on the floor and Grace came up to me and started ramming her head into my shoulder and then my head.  Then she rolled over the top of me and snorted and giggled as she flung her legs over the top of her. She was rough housing with me like she does with daddy!  It was super cute and really fun, but I know it wasn't the same for her.  She misses playing bumper cars with her dad!

I'm almost jealous from time to time.  It's a rare and precious thing to me when my kids are going through "Mommy phase".  And I think that's truly amazing. What a special bond he has with them.  I've fallen in love with him all over again watching him grow as a father.  He's my hero, too.


A quiet night - 12/19/11



She is a full blown walker now, people! She walks all over the place and it's SO cute! I love it!

I thought this was adorable. I turned my back and when I turned around, they were both on the floor playing with their feet. A rare sight nowadays with Grace usually anywhere but on that carpet!

Caleb spotting the binky...

He got it!

Victory!

No comments:

Post a Comment