I am what most people like to call a "coordination fail". I lack coordination in pretty much all facets, except for in the water. In the water, I'm good. But on land- not so much.
My daughter has apparently avoided the horrible coordination fail fate and is proving over and over again that she's some sort of freak motor skills anomaly.
Today, she lifted her right leg all the way up so that her foot was on top of the piano. Think ballerina bar stretching. She then proceeded to pull herself up on top of the piano so she was straddling the keys and reach down to grab a block that she'd dropped inside the piano. At this point, Ben and I are in utter awe, I'm screaming for him to go grab the camera and lunging to make sure she doesn't fall off of the piano and break her neck.
We had a decision to make. She started trying to get herself out of this predicament. She was lifting her leg back and up to swing it over the piano again and struggling a bit to get there so she could lower herself down. I stopped to think about helping her off, but then remembered when I climbed a tree once at around 4 or 5 years old and couldn't figure out how to get down. I cried and begged my parents to help me but they told me that I'd need to figure out my own way down if I could figure out my own way up. Unfortunately, I can't remember how that turned out...but I think I got down (presumably, as I'm here typing now...). In any case, it stuck with me as a great life lesson. Grace isn't learning any life lessons right now, but I sort of just wanted to see what she would do.
As I was doing this contemplation, Grace had actually started fully swinging her leg up over the piano and was starting to scoot down...I looked back and Ben was still getting the camera so the logical thing to do in that moment? Push her back so she couldn't get down. Obviously.
So, we got this shot!
![]() |
| Mommy being incredibly terrified at this new Gracie skill... |
Then, she proceeded to incredibly easily swing herself back over the piano and hop right off. She did this again about three minutes later.
Of course, a few hours before this, Ben and I had her trapped behind the ottoman with our legs up on it so she had these bridges holding her inside the couch area. All she needed to do was bend down and crawl underneath them. Instead, she spinned herself around in circles for five minutes and then gave up.
So, we all have our gifts, no? ;)
And don't forget it was less than a year ago when I was worried about Grace not picking her head up enough. Oh, what a year!
| 6/6/12 Gracie practicing her new sitting skills, and beating up on her brother! ;) |
| A nice relaxing walk to ease some of the fussing. |

No comments:
Post a Comment