Friday, November 16, 2012

Daddy Month #16 - Two Nights

Another Mommy Guest Post!

Last night, our little man FINALLY slept through the night again.  It's been a long few weeks with him up most nights multiple times and for long periods of time.  It was a much needed break, and believe me, I'm grateful.  But I'm tired of these one-night flukes.  The kids are over a year old, they don't need to eat or play or be held in the middle of the night...they need to sleep.  Ben and I are about to lose it.

So, I'm looking for two nights in a row from Caleb.  Of course, we couldn't have it too easy.  Caleb slept through the night but Grace didn't.  She only woke up once, which is better than some nights, so again, I'm grateful.  But please...give me two nights, or three nights...or hey, why don't we start making this more of a trend than not.

In addition to my begging for two nights of sleep...Ben and I are in full-force planning-mode for our very first vacation away from the babies! We're planning a two night visit to lovely Las Vegas to refresh, rejuvenate, and remember that we're not just Mommy and Daddy...we're also Amy and Ben (I love my new Mommy name, especially the adorable way Grace says it! But I've absolutely realized the importance of remembering who I am, and who Ben and I are as a couple, in order to be the best Mommy possible for my little girl and boy.  Survival mode does not make for a lot of fun playtime, that's for sure.  Refreshed Mommy means fun Mommy!)

We've been looking at hotel deals and trying to find the perfect place to remember "us" and to celebrate our beautiful new life.  Vegas holds so many fond memories for us, times when we revelled in our puppy love and times when we needed to get away to recover from hard reality.  It's a place that we have gone to splurge and play, laugh and act like idiots.  The perfect first get away since the littles were born.

My parents have SO generously offered to house our little rugrats for our two night stay, and I can tell you that these two are going to have a hard time coming home with Mommy and Daddy after they've been thoroughly spoiled by thousands of Nana and Papa kisses for two nights! They won't want to leave! I'm just hoping that we've sleep trained them adequately for the stay. Gulp.

Fun day today.  After my lovely night of sleep, I spent the first minutes of the day with two babies lounging in my lap, holding their own bottles, and gulping down their milk as I played with their hair.  After work, I came home to two smiley children, both mobile and loving it! Caleb has been doing awesome with his crawling and even better with sitting up on his own. It's amazing to watch him see something he wants across the room and actually be able to go get it.  You know he's been craving that freedom for a while, and I'm so proud that he's achieved it.  And my little Boo Bear Princess is happy to run and collapse into my arms, rub her head into my shoulder, and squawk all about her day as she greets me.  She's taken to sitting in the corner with her little books, flipping through the pages and mumbling to herself about what she's reading.  Sometimes she'll bring a couple over to me and sit in my lap so I'll read to her.  After a couple of pages, she takes the book back and reads it to me! She's started imitating my voice inflections as I read, so she'll flip the pages and say "ba ba ba ma ma da DA DA ga ga GA GA GA va vaaaaaaaaaa ma ma" like she's telling a story.

I'd say life is pretty darn good, wouldn't you? :)


Pretty Pretty Princess  (ps...look at those bangs coming down over her eyes! Haircut?)

Toy overload!

He's doing SO well standing in his new shoes with the orthotics.  They almost completely fix his ankle and arch problems,which is fantastic! We were hoping that we wouldn't need to do anything more invasive (like braces) and I'm feeling really hopeful that these are going to do the trick.  He'll have to wear them pretty much all the time, but c'mon, how cute is he in those shoes?! :)

I NEVER put Grace in the jumperoo anymore, but she walked up to it, started shaking it and bouncing and squawking...so I knew she was interested. I put her in and she went to town! How funny is that?  Oh, speaking of Grace's new ability to communicate her wants...it's awesome to be able to figure out why she's upset sometimes now.  She'll be grunting and fussing and I won't know what's going on and then all of a sudden she'll point and what she wanted or needed, or she'll walk up to something and bang on it to let me know.  It's so helpful!!! I know, I know- soon she'll be demanding, but I love that she's developing so well and expressing herself. :)

So cute in his kicks!

And pretty pleased about it :)

Caleb pushing himself up into a sit!

No comments:

Post a Comment